Airport Board of Adjustment
Houston Airport System
16930 JFK Boulevard
Houston, TX 77032
Contact: William Zrioka
Phone: (281)233-1364 Fax: (281) 233-1830
Updated as of: 7/14/2014
LEGAL AUTHORITY FOR CREATION AND OPERATION(State)
City of Houston, Code of Ordinances, Chapter 9, Article VI, Division 1, Subdivision B, Section 9-373. Texas Local Government Code, Chapter 241, Section 241.032.
GENERAL POWER AND DUTIES
1. To hear and decide appeals.
2. To hear and decide special requests.
3. To hear and decide requests for variances to the Airport Land Use Regulations ordinance (City of Houston, Code of Ordinances, Chapter 9, Article VI).
MEETING TIME AND LOCATION
The Airport Board of Adjustment meetings are held quarterly on an as-needed basis. Meetings are held in the City Hall Annex Council Chambers at 900 Bagby, 1st floor, unless otherwise noted.
TOTAL: 5 members
The Board shall be composed of five members appointed by position to two-year terms. Members holding positions one through four shall be appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council and shall be a residents of the City of Houston.
1. The Director of the Houston Airport System shall be a non-voting ex officio member of the Board and shall serve as secretary to the Board.
2. An alternate member may be appointed for each position by the entity entitled to appoint the member. An alternate member may serve in the absence of each member.
CRITERIA: Members should (not required) have a combination of the following backgrounds:
1. Planners and or individuals with backgrounds in planning
2. Attorneys—ideally with a background in planning
5. Individuals with familiarity in Aviation
Positions 1-4: Residents of City of Houston that are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by City Council.
Position 5A: City of Humble appointee to represent matters relating to IAH;
Position 5B: City of Houston appointee to represent matters relating to HOU; and
Position 5C: City of Pasadena appointee to represent matters relating to EFD.
SEE BELOW FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON POSITION 5A through 5C
1. In all matters involving George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) Position 5A shall be appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council until the City of Humble, pursuant to an interlocal agreement, appoints a member to Position 5A. The Humble appointee is not required to be a resident of the City of Houston.
2. In all matters involving William P. Hobby Airport (HOU), Position 5B shall be appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council and shall be a resident of the City of Houston.
3. In all matters involving Ellington Field (EFD), Position 5C shall be appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council until the City of Pasadena, pursuant to an interlocal agreement, appoints a member to Position 5C. The Pasadena appointee is not required to be a resident of the City of Houston.
QUORUM: A quorum shall consist of four Board members.
TERM: Members shall serve a term of two-years from their date of appointment and confirmation.
CHAIRPERSON: The Mayor shall appoint a chairperson from amongst the members.
COMPENSATION: Members of the board, in the performance of their duties as such, shall serve without compensation.
Entity is NOT included in the financial reporting for the City of Houston.
|Member Name||Position #||Chair
|James Cox, Jr.||05C||
|John ("Jack") Rose||A01||
|Lee Allen Krause||A03||
|Joe Douglas Webb||A04||